Although it can be a difficult decision to make, there are a number of reasons why you would wish to delete your Instagram profile. For instance, you can choose to cancel an account because you have realized your target audience doesn’t use this platform, it doesn’t pay off, or it’s just not fun anymore.
However, you should keep in mind that deleting an account is irreversible and cannot be undone. Therefore, it’s crucial to think through all the ramifications in advance. For this reason, we decided to guide you through the steps of deleting an Instagram account and offer advice on how to do it safely and securely.
So, let’s get into it!
Things to Do Before You Delete Your Account
It’s important to download any content or data you want to save before canceling your Instagram account. That includes everything you’ve uploaded to your profile, such as pictures, videos, followers, and likes. To do this, request a download of your data from Instagram through the Settings menu. Once everything is downloaded, you can start the deletion process.
Please be aware, though, that once you delete your account, all your content will be gone forever. Moreover, any comments or likes you may have made on other users’ postings will also disappear. Therefore, if you want to keep comments or likes you’ve made on other people’s postings, you should snap screenshots first. If you have a sizeable account with a lot of followers or a verified account, it is important to wait and consider this choice wisely.
Steps to Delete Your Account
Although deleting an Instagram account is a simple process, it’s crucial to carefully follow the instructions to make sure your account is truly removed. This is how you do it:
- Open a web browser on your computer, go to instagram.com, and log into the account.
- Use the Help Center link in the Settings menu to access the Delete Your Account page. Confirm by clicking Delete Account.
- Instagram will then suggest deactivation instead of deletion, so you might need to confirm your choice again. If you accidentally choose to deactivate instead, your profile will still exist on the platform, but it won’t be visible to other users.
- Pick one of the available explanations for why you want to delete your account. Providing an answer is mandatory.
- Enter your password to confirm again that you wish to remove the account. Click Delete @username.
Apple Users Can Use the Instagram App to Delete an Account
If you are an Apple user, delete your profile on your mobile device via the Instagram app.
- Log into the app and open the account you want to remove.
- Tap the three lines marking the menu icon in the top right corner instead. Choose Settings, then Accounts Centre, and then the Personal details option.
- Tap Account ownership and control, and then click Deactivation or deletion.
- Tap the account you would like to delete.
- Reenter your password and tap your username to confirm your choice.
What If You Are an Android User?
For some reason, the Instagram app on Android devices still does not offer an option to delete an account. However, you can always do it using a browser.
- Go to instagram.com, and log into the account.
- After logging in, go to the Instagram Account Deletion link.
- Select the reason for canceling your Instagram account from the drop-down box.
- Type your Instagram password again in the text field that pops up below, and then click the [Account Name] button.
What If You Have Multiple Accounts?
Unfortunately, you can’t delete all your accounts at the same time. You must log in to each profile and repeat the steps outlined above.
However, if you want to delete just one of your multiple accounts, you must first confirm that the username matches the account you would like to delete. To do that, click the Logout option on the right side of the screen to go back to the main page and sign back in with the right account.
A Few Things to Consider
After the deletion process is complete, your account will no longer be viewable on Instagram. However, you still have 30 days to change your mind and reactivate it. After that, it is completely gone.
Another thing to remember is that when your account is deleted, you won’t be able to create a new account with the same username. However, other users will be able to take your username for themselves.
What Happens to My Other Social Media Accounts After Deleting Instagram?
If you have other social media accounts linked to Instagram, you won’t need to disconnect them before starting the deletion process. In other words, removing your Instagram won’t affect your Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, or other connected accounts.
What Is My Other Option?
If you are still not sure whether you should permanently delete your account or just take a short break, you can opt for deactivation instead. Deactivating your profile means it won’t be available to the public view, but you will still be able to restore it at any point.
Simply log into your account using a web browser, then go to the profile page and choose Edit profile. You should see the Temporarily Disable My Account option at the bottom of the page. Click that button, provide a reason for your decision, and enter your password again. Finally, confirm your choice by clicking on the Temporarily Disable Account button.