Do you sometimes get comments on your Instagram posts or videos that you want to delete? Have you changed your mind about a comment you wrote and want to delete it? If so, we’ve got you covered.
How to Delete Instagram Comments
Instagram makes it possible for you to remove your comments, as well as comments others make, on posts, reels, and videos.
Here’s how you do it on a smartphone:
- Open up the post, reel, or video that has a comment you want to delete.
- Tap on the comments icon. You can also view the full list of comments by tapping View all [number] comments towards the bottom.
- Android Users: Tap and hold a comment to pull up a menu.
- iOS Users: Swipe a comment to the left to bring up actionable options.
- Tap the red trash can icon.
That’s it! The comment has now been deleted. But remember, once it’s gone, it’s gone.
Note: Instagram does not notify users who had their comments deleted. They will only find out if they go back to look for their comment.
How to Delete An Instagram Comment in a Browser
If you’re looking for how to delete Instagram comments in a web browser on your phone or computer, here’s what you need to do:
From a Smartphone
- Find the post with the comment you want to delete
- Open the Comments section
- Android: Long tap a comment
- iOS: Swipe left on a comment
- Select Delete
From a Computer
- Open the post containing the comment you want to delete
- Click on the three dots
- Click Delete
How to Delete Multiple Instagram Comments At Once
Are you looking to delete several Instagram comments at a time?
Whether it’s a post, reel, or video, you need to turn off commenting entirely for that publication. This will delete all of the comments in one action.
Here is what you need to do:
- Find the content you want to delete all of the comments under
- Tap the three dots
- Tap the Turn off commenting option
If you ever decide you would like to receive comments again on that post, reel, or video, simply tap the Turn on commenting option. This option will be in the same location as the Turn off commenting option was.
Note: Old comments will reappear if you do this!
Also, there is no button that will allow you to turn off all comments on all of your posts, reels, and videos at once. If you want to do this, you will have to manually turn off commenting on each publication.
How to Delete Instagram Comments From a Specific Account
Are you looking to delete comments from a specific person on Instagram? If so, you will need to use the Block feature.
Here are the steps:
- On Android, long tap on a comment
- On iOS, swipe left
- Tap on the exclamation mark icon
- Tap Block username
Once you have done this, the user’s comments have all disappeared from all of your posts.
Note: The account you blocked will no longer see any of your publications.
Also, if you unblock the user, their comments will not reappear but instead will have been removed forever.
Set Up Comment Auto-Deleting
If you want to know how to delete Instagram comments containing certain words, then the platform’s auto-delete feature is for you.
Whenever someone writes a comment on one of your posts, reels, or videos, Instagram can automatically delete it if it contains certain trigger words.
Here is how to set up auto-delete for comments:
- Go to your profile page and tap the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines)
- Tap on Settings and privacy
- Scroll down until you find Hidden Words and select it
- Tap the Continue button
- Under the Custom words for messages and comments section, tap on Manage custom words and phrases
- Add the words you would like IG’s auto-delete function to remove as soon as someone tries to leave a comment containing the word, phrase, or emoji.
The comments that are auto-deleted using this method will still be visible to the author and other users, but not to you.
To see words, phrases, or emojis you set to auto-delete again, simply remove them from the Hidden Words list. Comments previously made with them will now be visible to you.