Are you looking for a neat way to clean up your Instagram timeline without unfollowing someone and causing unnecessary drama? If so, this post is for you.
Whether you want to avoid seeing your ex’s every move or your relatives’ stories give you a headache, here is a guide that can help you mute them (and reverse, if that’s what you need). Read on!
Muting and Unmuting Someone’s DMs on Instagram
In case you want to mute someone’s direct messages, you can do so directly in your chat. Here are the steps you should take.
- Go to your Instagram DMs located in the upper right corner of your feed.
- Then, scroll until you find the chat with the person you want to mute. Tap it.
- Once you’re in the chat, tap the person’s username at the top of the chat.
- In the menu that appears, you will see the options to Mute Messages and Mute Call Notifications toggled off. Toggle them on instead by tapping them.
- If you ever want to unmute a user’s calls and DMs, simply repeat these steps and toggle the Mute buttons off once again.
Muting and Unmuting Someone’s Posts and Stories
To mute someone’s posts and stories, you can go to their Instagram profile. Once there, follow these steps:
- Tap the Following button under the user’s bio.
- A menu with various options will pop up, one of which is Mute. Click on it.
- Then, you’ll have the option to block either the user’s posts, stories, or both. Toggle the buttons off.
- And if you want to unmute them later on, just toggle the buttons back on.
Alternatively, you can also mute someone directly from your feed. Here’s how.
- Tap on the three dots in the top right corner of the post.
- Click on Hide in the menu that appears.
- Instagram will now give you the option to mute the person whose post you chose to hide.
- You will, once more, get the option to mute one’s posts or stores (or both), so click at your convenience.
- Follow the same steps to unmute the person later if that’s what you wish.
Finally, you can also mute someone’s story.
- Click and hold the person’s icon in your story feed.
- From the options that appear, choose Mute, and then Mute Story.