There may come a point where you want to remove an IG account you are not using anymore. Depending on what device you are using, there are a few different methods possible for how to remove accounts on Instagram.
Removing vs Deleting an Instagram Account
Removing an account is not the same as deleting it.
What removing an account does is removes it from being linked to other accounts. A removed account still exists and is accessible, but can no longer be easily switched back and forth to. Instead, you will have to log in separately with its username and password.
A deleted Instagram account, on the other hand, is permanently gone. It will not be searchable by others and cannot be logged into.
The process for deleting an account varies greatly from the process for how to remove accounts on Instagram, so you do not need to worry about accidentally deleting your account.
Remove an IG Account on an iPhone or Android
iPhone and Android users will need to follow these steps to remove accounts from their Instagram:
- Open the Instagram app
- Log into the account you have decided to remove or switch to it
- Tap on your profile picture in the bottom-right of your screen
- Tap on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) in the top-right of your screen
- Tap on Settings and go down until you see the Log Out option and tap to continue
- Tap on Log Out if the account to be removed has a blue checkmark next to it
- Tap on Log Out one more time
After you have taken these steps, the account you selected for removal will no longer be listed as a linked account in your Instagram app.
How to Remove Accounts on Instagram Using a Computer
While not possible for a long time, Instagram now allows more than one account to be linked on a computer. It also provides the option to unlink accounts using a computer as well.
Note: Instagram may log you out of all accounts you are currently logged into.
Also, keep in mind that accounts you have linked on your phone are not going to necessarily be linked on your computer.
Take these steps to remove IG accounts on a computer:
- Go to Instagram’s website
- Log into the IG account you wish to remove
- Tap on your profile picture located in the top-right of the screen and click Log Out
- Click on Manage Accounts and choose the account you slated for removal, and then click Done Editing once selected
- Confirm that you want to remove the account by clicking Remove
The account you selected will have now been removed. You have the option to remove more accounts or log into a different account.
Bottom Line: Removing an account you no longer use from Instagram is simple whether you are removing it from your phone or a computer. Follow these steps to streamline your Instagramming experience.