Do you want to hide when you’re on Instagram or when you recently were on? If so, we have the perfect solution for you. It’s possible to disable showing your activity status. However, it has become a bit tricky to figure out exactly how to turn off active status on Instagram.
Follow along to learn how you can appear offline while on Instagram.
How to Change Active Status on Instagram
No matter what type of device you have, the steps will be the same to change your active status. Here is what you need to do:
- Open the Instagram app on your device
- Go to your profile via the bottom bar
- Tap on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) in the top-right of the screen and tap on Settings and privacy
- Scroll until you come to the How others can interact with you section and tap on Messages and story replies
- Find the Show activity status option and disable it on the following screen
Once you have taken these steps, your active status will no longer appear to anyone. Instead, you will appear offline to others. It is a great way to preserve and protect your privacy.
How to Turn Off Active Status on Instagram on a Computer
If you want to disable your active status on IG using a computer or a web browser, then you’ll be happy to know it is also possible. The steps follow closely with the mobile app’s steps, with a few differences.
Here is what you need to do:
- Go to Instagram’s website and log in
- Look for the More hamburger menu in the bottom-left of the screen and click on it
- Click on Settings within the menu that pops up
- Scroll down a little until you find Message and story replies and click on it
- Locate the Show activity status option and disable it
That’s all there is to it! While disabling activity status used to be easier, if you follow our guide for how to turn off active status on Instagram, you should be able to disable it in under a minute.
Bottom Line: Avoid revealing when you are actively using Instagram to others by toggling off your Active Status. This allows you to use IG discreetly without feeling obligated to answer anyone’s messages or comments right away.