Thanks to its impressive assortment of entertaining and, above all, diverse content, TikTok has become one of the most popular platforms for content creation. Not only does it help us discover new creators and engage with viral trends, but it also provides a valuable and enjoyable experience for those seeking knowledge and entertainment.
However, as your interests evolve, you may feel the need to stop viewing certain creators’ accounts. Keep in mind that it’s only natural to come across content that no longer keeps your attention or aligns with your preferences.
When this happens, the most efficient way to declutter your TikTok feed is to unfollow those accounts. After all, your account is meant to be tailored to your preferences and interests.
Ultimately, unfollowing accounts that no longer spark your interest should be common practice. So, if you’re looking for a way to refresh your “For You” page on TikTok, these simple steps will help you cleanse your profile in no time.
Before we dive into the instructions, it’s necessary to point out that the TikTok interface may slightly vary based on updates and device specifications. However, the general process of unfollowing accounts remains the same.
- Open the TikTok app on your mobile device and log into your account.
- Select the Profile icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Find the Following option and tap it. Note: Your following countwill be displayed below your profile picture. This number indicates how many accounts you are currently following.
- Scroll through the accounts, find the person you want to unfollow and tap on their profile.
- Once you go to their profile, you’ll find a few options below their profile picture. Select the Unfollow option next to the message button (the one with a stick figure and checkmark next to it).
- A pop-up message will appear asking you to confirm your decision to unfollow the account. Tap Unfollow again to proceed.
- Once you click on it, you’ll immediately unfollow the account. Also, remember that you will no longer see their content in your TikTok feed.
- Repeat this process as many times as you see fit.
Alternatively, if you know the username of the person you want to unfollow,you can type it into the search bar instead of doing the first three steps.
Like with all other social media platforms, users are informed when someone follows their account. However, if you’re worried that someone will know if you unfollowed them, you can breathe easy. TikTok keeps this information private.
Essentially, they will not receive a notification about this type of activity, nor will they be directly informed about it. This will keep your privacy intact if you choose to distance yourself from someone’s account.
There are, however, other ways people can find out you unfollowed them. For example, if they actively track their followers they may notice a decrease in their follower count. The same goes for users that use third-party apps to check their analytics. Fortunately, not everyone keeps track of this information.
To summarize, while the act of unfollowing a TikTok account is not communicated to that person, it’s still possible for them to find out on their own.
The act of unfollowing someone on TikTok is a personal decision that gives you the opportunity to prioritize the content that truly brings you joy. Whether it’s to remove accounts that no longer align with your evolving interests, declutter your feed, or simply refine your content consumption, unfollowing accounts gives you the freedom to shape your TikTok experience according to your preferences.
When you unfollow accounts on TikTok, you open up a world of possibilities. Undoubtedly, you will discover new content that captivates you, and create a more enjoyable TikTok experience for yourself.
By curating your feed to include content that you genuinely enjoy, and unfollowing accounts that no longer pique your interest, you are taking control of your TikTok experience.
In the end, you will do wonders to enhance your overall TikTok experience and make it more engaging. After all, this popular social media platform is all about discovering content that resonates with you. With that said, it’s only normal to change your mind about what you enjoy. So, don’t hesitate to unfollow accounts that no longer provide value or entertainment to you.