With the merge of Facebook and Instagram under the Meta umbrella, users have the option to link their accounts. This means that you can cross post between them, which can be great but also not something everyone wants. Let’s face it, you probably don’t want grandma seeing your party pics on your Instagram story.
The good news is that while some may have dealt with unwanted cross posting, there’s a way to unlink Facebook and Instagram from each other.
Why Should I Unlink Facebook and Instagram?
Along with keeping grandma from seeing your partying pics, there are several reasons you may want to unlink your Facebook and Instagram accounts,
Linking your Facebook and Instagram accounts means all of the information is shared across both platforms. Unlinking them can help maintain your privacy and protect your information.
Control Over What You’re Sharing
If your accounts are linked, your post will automatically be shared to both without notifying you. Unlinking the accounts means you’ll have more control over what you’re sharing and when.
Some people have a different online persona on Instagram vs. Facebook. Unlinking Facebook and Instagram can give you a sense of individuality between your accounts, and let’s not forget about having content that’s appropriate for grandma vs. your friends on the ‘gram.
Unlink Facebook and Instagram from Facebook App
- Click the Menu Button
- Go to Settings (Android) or Settings and Privacy (iPhone)
- Scroll down until you find the Accounts Center
- Click on Accounts
- Find the account you’d like to unlink and click on Remove
- You’ll see a confirmation message double checking that you want to remove the account
- Click Continue
- If you use the same password for both accounts, you’ll have to change one of them to separate the accounts
How to Unlink Facebook and Instagram on the Instagram App
You can also unlink Facebook and Instagram through the Instagram app. Here’s how.
- Go to your Profile Page
- Click the Menu Icon in the upper-right corner
- Go to Settings
- Find Accounts Center
- Click on Accounts
- Find the account you want to remove
- The confirmation message will show up, and you’ll need to click Continue
- You’ll be prompted to Change the Password if you use the same one for both accounts
Limit Interaction Without Unlinking Facebook and Instagram
In some instances, you may not want to unlink Instagram and Facebook entirely. There are ways to limit how much interaction there is between both accounts. Most users will turn off the feature that shares posts to both accounts automatically. To do this, it’s the same for both Android and iPhone.
How to Turn off Sharing Posts on Both Instagram and Facebook
- Head to the Accounts Center page
- Click on Sharing Across Profiles
- Find your profile and turn the Automatically Share toggle to off
This is for both posts and stories. At any point, you can go back and turn the feature back on, or turn on the function to select which posts go to both accounts.
What if I Want to Re-Link My Accounts?
If you want to link your Facebook and Instagram accounts again, don’t worry, this is totally possible. You’ll need to head back into the Account Settings and connect your accounts through the Accounts Center where you initially unlinked them. It’s easy!