If you are posting videos on TikTok, you probably already know that a username is a crucial part of your online presence. It’s the first thing people see when they visit your profile, and it can make or break their decision to follow you.
But what happens if you outgrow your present handle or decide to change it to something else? Well, the app provides a simple way to change your username. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve deeper into the process of how to change your TikTok username and explore additional valuable information to help you make the most of your TikTok experience.
- Open the TikTok app and log in to your account.
- Select Profile from the menu at the bottom.
- Under your profile name, tap on the Edit Profile button.
- Choose the option Username, make the change, and tap Save.
You can do this every 30 days. However, your new username must be unique and can only contain letters, numbers, periods, and underscores. Also, changing your username will alter your profile URL, so update any links or marketing materials accordingly.
Now that you know how to change your TikTok username, it’s important to understand the potential consequences:
- Lost mentions: If other users have mentioned your old username in comments or captions, those links will no longer direct to your profile.
- Confusion among followers: Sudden changes can confuse your audience, so make sure to inform them about the update.
Let’s address some common questions related to this topic:
- Can I revert to my old username? If it’s still available, yes. However, someone else could claim it in the meantime.
- Will I lose my followers or likes? No, changing your username will not affect your existing followers, likes, or videos.
If you’re changing your TikTok username as part of a rebranding effort, consider these additional tips:
- Update your profile picture, bio, and banner to match your new identity.
- Announce the change through a video, pinned comment, or other platforms to keep your audience informed.
- Reach out to collaborators to update their mentions of your username.